– Continuing her incredible break-out year, TKAY MAIDZA has launched a new single, U-huh, as well as announcing that she’s signed with Brisbane-based record label Dew Process. The new tune, a collaboration with local producer ELK, is officially released on Monday July 21, but you can stream it now at her Soundcloud page.
– Maidza, along with BAD//DREEMS, was part of the first announcement of acts showcasing at BIG SOUND later this year. The second announcement has just come out, and with it more good news for South Australia – hard rockers LIFE PILOT and art-rockers SPARKSPITTER will also be flying the South Aussie flag at the major music conference in September.
– N1 RECORDS, the Northern Sound System initiative that put Maidza on the path towards her current success, is back for 2014. This year they’re working with four artists: pop artist ALEXANDRA CONWAY, country singer-songwriter ELSA GRACE, hip hop duo PATRIOTIC TONGUES and indie songstress HANNAH YATES. More info here.
– The South Australian Community Broadcasters Assocation Bilby Awards for 2014 have been announced. Congrats toFRESH FM’s FRESH AIR team, picking up the Best Local Music Program for the second time in three years. Congrats also to runners-up RADIO ADELAIDE’s SONGCATCHER team. See the full list of award winners here.
– LIVE AT THE PORT is back again, with their second video. This time it’s THE HUSHES performing in Forge Creative Warehouse. Check out the video here. Zen Publicity are continually on the lookout for more musicians and film makers, so be sure to get in touch if you’re interested.
– Melissah from Zen Publicity performs herself too, in a duet called THE REMEMBERZ. They filmed a clip in Forge Creative Warehouse recently, too. Check it out here.
– THE VILLENETTES are currently in Melbourne, recordings their debut album. Keep up-to-date with their progress by following their shenanigans on Facebook. They’re still sticking with their residency commitments though, and will be back in time to headline the Grace Emily stage on Friday night.
– VALKYRIES are currently on their way to Melbourne. As in, right now. They’re currently posting photos from the passenger seat of the touring van.
– HEATH ANTHONY‘s new EP Whiskey Monday will be released on Friday July 18. He’ll follow up with a tour up the east coast [and a trip to Hobart] through August before the hometown show at the Blubee Room on September 6.
– BEARDED GYPSY BAND and THE TIMBERS will be heading to Queensland in October for the Caloundra Music Festival.
– IT’S A HOAX have announced the launch of their next single. It’ll be happening at Cats at Rocket Bar on Friday July 25, with support from THE ROCKETEERS and WEST THEBARTON BROTHEL SOCIETY.
– BATTLEHOUNDS have released their first filmclip, for their new single “Ghost Mountain”. Scope it here, and catch the ‘Hounds at Pirie & Co. Social Club this Friday night, supporting Glass Skies. More info in this week’s gig guide.